Jose R Reyes Memorial Medical Center
Under the sound guidance of the former department chairs, Dr. Ma. Luisa Abad-Venida (1986-1998), Dr. Lillian Lopez-Villafuerte (1999-2001), Dr. Jesusa Barcelona-Tan (2002-2004), Dr. Elizabeth Amelia Tianco (2005-2006), Dr. Agnes Espinoza-Thaebtharm (2007-2012), and the leadership of the current chair, Dr. Ma. Flordeliz Abad-Casintahan (2013-present), and the other consultants Dr. Daisy King-Ismael, Dr. Zharlah Gulmatico-Flores, Dr. Mercedes Buenviaje-Beloso, Dr. Melanie Joy Doria-Ruiz, Dr. Abelaine Venida-Tablizo and Dr. Kara Melissa Torres, the JRRMMC Department of Dermatology continues to accomplish its function in the government in providing expert care for patients suffering from skin diseases by training competent dermatologists. It offers quality services to a wide array of patients, providing more than 30,000 consultations every year. With an internationally trained consultant roster, and a complete set of subspecialty rotations (Infectious Dermatology, Dermatopathology, Contact and Occupational Dermatitis, Photodermatology, Dermatologic Surgery) available to residents-in-training, the department has placed itself at the forefront in the fields of research, both locally and internationally, and academics. In addition, the Dermatopathology Fellowship program was accredited by the PDS on February 2015, providing a step up in training competent and responsible future dermatopathologists.
To provide the highest quality of dermatological care and services, and to promote excellent training and research in dermatology.
To be an internationally recognized center for dermatological services, training and research.
Core Values: We, the staff of the Department of Dermatology, value INTEGRITY, COMPETENCE, and PROFESSIONALISM.
The Department of Dermatology is a 2-storey complex consisting of Clinical Dermatology Clinic, Infectious Disease Clinic, Contact Dermatitis and Allergy, Occupational and Environmental Dermatology Clinic, Psoriasis Clinic, Photodermatology Unit, Dermatopathology Unit and Dermatologic Surgery Unit. It is also equipped with its own multimedia conference room, computer room, library and histopathology, infectious and immunodermatology laboratory.
Left to Right: Ma. Cricelda Rescober-Valencia, Elizabeth Amelia V. Tianco, Abelaine Venida-Tablizo, Daisy King-Ismael, Ma. Luisa Abad-Venida, Melanie Joy Doria-Ruiz, Flordeliz Abad-Casintahan, Lillian Lopez-Villafuerte, Elaine Marie Gutierrez-Villaroman, Zharlah Gulmatico-Flores, Ma. Eleanor Cathryn D. Salonga, Andrea Bernales-Mendoza
- Ma. Flordeliz Abad-Casintahan, M.D., F.P.D.S.
- Daisy King-Ismael, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Training Officer and Research Coordinator
- Zharlah Gulmatico-Flores, M.D., F.P.D.S.
- Ma. Luisa Abad-Venida, M.D., F.P.D.S.
- Mercedes Buenviaje-Beloso, M.D., F.P.D.S.
- Melanie Joy Doria-Ruiz, M.D., D.P.D.S.
- Agnes Espinoza-Thaebtharm, M.D., F.P.D.S.
- Lillian Lopez-Villafuerte, M.D., F.P.D.S.
- Elizabeth Amelia Tianco, M.D., F.P.D.S.
- Abelaine Venida-Tablizo, M.D., D.P.D.S.
- Kara Melissa Torres, M.D., D.P.D.S.
- Ma. Eleanor Cathryn D. Salonga, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Ma. Flordeliz Abad-Casintahan, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Head, Dermatopathology Section
Daisy King-Ismael, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Head, Photodermatology Section
Zharlah Gulmatico-Flores, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Department Training Officer
Melanie Joy Doria-Ruiz, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Lillian Lopez-Villafuerte, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Agnes Espinosa-Thaebtharm, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Kara Melissa Torres-Culala, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Lillian L. Villafuerte, F.P.D.S.
Elizabeth Amelia V. Tianco,M.D., F.P.D.S.
Abelaine Venida-Tablizo, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Mercedes B. Beloso, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Ma. Eleanor Cathryn Dr. Salonga, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Ma. Cricelda Resober-Valencia, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Elaine Marie Gutierrez-Villaroman, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Andrea Marie Bernales-Mendoza, M.D., F.P.D.S.
Karla Isabel Ligeralde-Bascones, M.D., D.P.D.S.
Deo Adiel Wong, M.D., D.P.D.S
RESIDENT STAFF 2021
Third Year Residents
(Left to Right): Melissa Joy Ong, Elisa Bien Anupol, Zarina Valcos (Deputy Chief Resident), Patrick Lansangan (OPD Chief Resident), Clarice Isabelle Garcia (Chief Resident), Roxanne Jillian Mauleon, Bless Noelle Serquina
Second Year Residents
(Left to Right): Mobbydick Tana, Nikka Faye Rivera, Mary Darice Wong, Patricia Monique Torres, Jianella Catrisse Diaz, Maria Lourdes Santos, Christine Serrano, John Joseph Tayag
First Year Residents
(Left to Right): Abigail Angeline Rubiano, Sharina Macapagal, Rizia Margate, Aliza Garcia, Cathlyn Marie Cortez, Katrina Olitoquit, Melissa Rinne See
- Botulinum toxin
- CO2 laser
- ND:Yag laser
- Chemical peels: glycolic acid, TCA, SSA
- Acne surgery
- Incision and drainage
- Mohs surgery
- IL injection
Infectious Disease Clinic
- Slit skin smear and acid fast smear
- Fungal culture
- Tzanck smear
- Acarus test
- Pre- and post-test counseling for HIV
- Psoriasis specialty clinic
- Psoriasis Club
Contact Dermatitis and Allergy, Occupational and Environmental Dermatology Clinic
- Patch test
- Direct Immunofluorescence
- Biopsy reading
- Special stains
- Hand and foot phototherapy
- Handwritten letter of application addressed to:
- Emmanuel F. Montaña Jr., MD
Medical Center Chief II
Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center
- Emmanuel F. Montaña Jr., MD
- Two 2 passport size pictures (preferably colored, on a white background)
- Medical school transcript of records, class ranking and general weighted average from dean/college secretary, certificate of internship training
- PRC board rating and PRC certificate/diploma
- Service record of previous employment if any (xerox copy)
- Updated certification of good moral character from two (2) persons/official of integrity
- Birth certificate from National Statistics Office
- Completely filled up Personal Data Sheet (obtained from the Training Office)
Fellowship training offered for Dermatopathology
Requirements for Fellows:
- Applicants must have successfully completed a PDS-accredited dermatology program, or anatomic and clinical pathology program located in the Philippines
- Non-resident fellows/foreigners:
- Must have completed a residency training program in dermatology or anatomic and clinical pathology
- Certification of training by a committee
Start of training period:
- January (Residency and Fellowship Programs)
Duration of training period:
- 3 years (Residency Program)
- 1 year (Fellowship Program)
The Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center, Department of Dermatology, is one of the oldest training institutions in Dermatology. Its origins date back to 1956, when it was first recognized as the SKIN & TUMOR CLINIC of the San Lazaro Hospital and later as the LEPROSY RESEARCH & TRAINING SERVICE (LRTS) Division of the Sanitaria of the Bureau of Disease Control. In 1975, the office of the Minister of Health realized the need for health care providers to be more exposed to other dermatologic diseases. Dr. Perpetua D. Reyes-Javier then solicited the help of Dr. Lourdes Romualdez for the creation of the DERMATOLOGY RESEARCH & TRAINING SERVICE (DRTS) and a proclamation converted LRTS to DRTS with Dr. Romualdez as its director, assisted by Dr. Javier. The DRTS handled dermatology and leprosy cases in Metro Manila and nationwide and offered in-service program for graduates, which was equivalent to that of a residency training program in dermatology.
DRTS, however, was abolished during the People Power Revolution in 1986. Consequently, the Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center (JRRMMC) absorbed the defunct DRTS and renamed it as its DEPARTMENT OF DERMATOLOGY. That same year, Dr. Javier retired and Dr. Ma. Luisa Abad-Venida took over as Officer-in-Charge. In 1988, under the leadership of Dr. Venida, the JRRMMC Dermatology Residency Program was accorded recognition by the Philippine Society of Aesthetic Medicine (PSAM), later known as the Philippine Society of Cutaneous Medicine Inc. (PSCM). In 1990, three fellows of the Philippine Dermatological Society (PDS), Dr. Jesusa Barcelona-Tan, Dr. Lillian Lopez-Villafuerte, and Dr. Elizabeth Amelia V. Tianco, joined the consultant staff and in the same year, the residency program was formally accredited by the PDS.
Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center
Department of Dermatology
Rizal Avenue, Sta. Cruz, Manila
Tel. No. 711-9491 to 98 local 336 / 711-6703
Email address: email@example.com